What doctor should I see for memory problems?

Primary care physician or a specialist?

What doctor should I see for memory problems?


Family doctor or Primary care physicians: People often first discuss their memory or thinking concerns with their primary care physician. Trained in general internal medicine or family medicine, primary care physicians diagnose and treat various medical conditions. Many primary care physicians perform the initial tests and refer patients to a specialist to confirm the diagnosis and establish a treatment plan.


Geriatricians are primary care physicians who have additional training in geriatrics - medical care for diseases and conditions common among older adults, generally over age 65.


Geriatric Psychiatrists are trained in general psychiatry with additional training in mental health and aging. They may help rule out other causes of memory loss, such as depression, and treat dementia-related behaviors in people living with dementia.


Neurologists specialize in diseases affecting nervous system disorders, including the brain, spinal cord, and peripheral nerves. Neurologists typically receive formal training in Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias.


Neuropsychologists administer various tests to assess thinking abilities, including memory, attention, language, reading, and problem-solving skills. Neuropsychologists work closely with other specialists and primary care physicians during the diagnostic process.